Saturday, April 5, 2014

Details

My home has always meant a lot to me. Not the bricks and mortar, the size or cost...but the visuals, the "connectedness" to me, which accounts for myriad "details" that I have in way of mini-collections, or simply objets posed and placed for my visual satisfaction. I actually commune with them, in a way. My own private version of meditation, some might say. Almost every art object in my house, and many of the practical things as well, have a story attached to them. That's what gives them personal meaning to me.

There are stories behind almost every thing I keep for very long (aside from necessities and electronics). Other people walk into my home and do not really "see" my stuff. The stories are not known to them, and there is too much of it sitting around without meaning to anyone but me. Nobody's really interested and I have no one to tell the stories to, but I decided to shoot some of it and post it anyway. The details of my life. It takes my mind off the more important things I could and should be doing.

















This last little painting which currently hangs in my bedroom has a very long story with it, and I'll share just a bit of it. It was painted by a man who has been dead for many years. He was always terrified of dying young like his father did at 45. On the week of his 45th birthday, he too died of a heart attack (or fear.) Oh dear, the dead really are haunting me this year.

He was a graphic artist professionally, but his private work was whimsical and sometimes religious (Jewish) in nature. He did a lot of what he called "dog people" and illustrated biblical children's stories using dog people. Prints of his "Happy Birthday, Baby Jesus" are still available online. This painting however is his take on the Duchess of Alba, done exclusively for me. (I spent time in Madrid and we shared a love of Goya's work). I'm showing Goya's original beneath it in case you don't know the classic work. This shows the reference, and the joyful fun of his work. His name was Kenneth Munowitz and I have treasured this little gift for decades.



No comments:

Post a Comment