Sunday, December 14, 2014

Pre-New Year's 5:2 Resolution

Okay, you know that this is NOT my favorite time of year. However various social engagements have kept me treading water this month, and I still have a Christmas party at my boss's house, and a Writer's Group (with luncheon) ahead of me before the end of the year. Not bad for a loose fish!

I've even got a bit of the old jolly spirit because I found some wee little Xmas trees on sale and they cheer up the wee little house:



So ho, ho, ho!

But wait, this post is about resolutions! I gave them up years ago, but here I go again. I've gained at least 10 lbs. in 2014 and I'm determined to lose it come the first of the year. I just heard from a friend in England that her sister-in-law lost 14 lbs. in one month doing the 5:2 Diet. Huh? Well, apparently I'm a year behind the fad diet of 2013, which is to eat normally for 5ive days and semi-fast for 2 days. That sounded horrible to me until I went and did some reading on it.

This is a diet that has seemingly come out of the UK, (all the websites I found) and the best one gives you a calculator for your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which determines how many calories you need to maintain yourself, and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). By plugging in your specifics, you can see approximately how many calories you should eat on five days, and the TDEE tells you what you'll expend. On Fast days, you simply eat 25% of your BMR calorie count.

Here's the BMR Calculator if you'd like to see your own.

Mine came up with 1150 calories which is very close to the 1200 calorie count I have computed in earlier days on other diets. So that gets me down to 300 calories on Fast days. I don't think I'll do that however. Since generally speaking 500 calories is mentioned for women, I think I'll do that instead.

So between now and January 1st, I shall be diligently planning menus and recipes that support the 5:2 Resolution!

And yes, this is the logo for Skinny Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment